Signs that Your Child Needs Physical Therapy
Torticollis - this is a condition where your child’s head becomes tilted to one side. This is usually as a result of the neck muscles becoming too tight. When children are small, they usually have very little control over their neck and head. Therefore, it is not uncommon for a baby to rest his or her head in one position all the time. This is a leading cause of torticollis in children. If you visit Physical Therapy Experience, our experienced physical therapist in Smithtown can get your child the help that they need to eliminate torticollis.
Gross Motor Development Delays - although children will have different development rates, there are specific periods when your child should display various levels of motor development. For example, a baby should have the ability to sit when he or she is 8 months old. Babies should have the ability to crawl when they are 12 months old and they should be walking when they are 18 months old. If you notice your child is lagging behind in these motor development phases, it is a good idea to take him or her to a physical therapist.
Toe Walking - when children first learn how to walk, they will be walking on their toes. This is supposed to be a temporary thing. Therefore, if you happen to notice that your child is walking on his toes for more than 6 months, you need to have a physical therapist evaluate him.
Other signs that your child should see a physical therapist include:
- Asymmetrical body use – if you notice that your child favors using one arm or leg more than the other.
- Excessive or limited joint mobility.
- Stiff muscle tone.
- Excessive clumsiness.
- Having difficulty with coordination and balance.
- Genetic disorders.
- Awkward running or jumping patterns.
Benefits of Physical Therapy for ChildrenA good physical therapist should have the ability to create a good therapy plan for your child after observing him or her and looking at the health records. The following are some benefits from physical therapy for children:
- It will help promote gross motor development.
- It will improve your child’s strength and muscle tone.
- It will enhance your child’s postural control.
- It will improve neuromuscular function.
- It will help in the management of severe conditions such as cerebral palsy, chronic pain, and an abnormal spine development.
If you’re looking for a great physical therapist in Smithtown or Oceanside, The Physical Therapy Experience is your solution to finding treatment for your child or for any other condition you may have. If you want to make an appointment, contact us today!