Spinal Stenosis can be defined as the narrowing of space within your spine. This narrowing of space can add pressure to your nerves, which then travels throughout the rest of your spine. Typically, this will occur in the lower back and neck. There are two types of Spinal Stenosis:
- Cervical Stenosis: The narrowing occurs in the neck part of your spine.
- Lumbar Stenosis The narrowing occurs in the lower back part of your spine.
Common Causes of Spinal Stenosis:
Spinal Stenosis mostly occurs in the lower back and neck due to osteoarthritis, but some other causes include:
- Having Scoliosis
- Having a previous spine injury
- Having excess calcium or fluoride in the body
Symptoms of Spinal Stenosis:
Some of the common symptoms of Spinal Stenosis include:
- Leg or Arm weakness
- Numbness in your legs or buttocks
- Problems balancing
- Lower back pain when walking or standing
How is it diagnosed?
Spinal Stenosis can be diagnosed in a few ways. Some of these ways include:
- X-ray, MRI, and CT-Scan
- Electromyogram to check your spinal nerve’s health
- Bone Scan to look for damage or growth in your spines
How can physical therapy near Island Park treat your spinal stenosis?
One way your spinal stenosis can be treated is through surgery. This may be needed if there is neurological loss or frequent severe pain. If surgery isn’t your only option, a noninvasive treatment method may include physical therapy. A physical therapist can help to treat your spinal stenosis through various techniques such as:
- Stretching to reduce joint strain
- Posture tips
- Lower Limb strengthening
- Pelvic Tilts, and lower back stabilizing
- Proper lifting, pushing and pulling
- Ice therapy
- Aquatic exercises
- Frequent position changes
Physical Therapy near Island Park:
At The Physical Therapy Experience, we are here to help you treat your spinal stenosis, and any of your other physical therapy needs. Feel free to visit our website and set up an appointment today!