Some of the symptoms of bursitis include pain, tenderness, swelling, and joint stiffness. If caused by an infection, the inflammation might result in the patient experiencing a fever and possible warmth radiating near the affected area. In some extreme cases, bursitis can lead to a severe reduction in mobility.
Here at The Physical Therapy Experience, bursitis is just one of the many conditions that our physical therapist in Oceanside can treat.
Bursitis can affect many different areas throughout the body. Most patients will experience bursitis in the following:
While it is a common condition, there are several steps that you can take that are extremely effective at reducing your chances of developing bursitis. These steps include the following:
- Take Frequent Breaks: One of the primary sources of bursitis is through muscle overuse during repetitive actions. You can prevent bursitis by taking frequent breaks when working out or exercising.
- Protect Vulnerable Body Parts: Athletes can avoid bursitis by using protective equipment for their sport. Using things such as pads and braces will prevent injuries that might lead to bursitis.
- Maintaining a Healthy Weight: Obesity will put even more pressure on your joints, thus making your bursitis symptoms worse. Focus on eating healthier and exercising more often.
For those diagnosed with bursitis, there are several treatment options available. These options will alleviate pain and help with managing the other bursitis symptoms. Some of the most effective treatment options include the following:
- Rest and Icing: For a majority of people, resting and icing the affected area will be able to treat their bursitis symptoms. Combining both will reduce the inflammation and allow the bursa sac to return to normal.
- Surgery: In rare cases, surgery might become an option for treating bursitis. For the most part, surgery is usually considered a last resort for chronic and severe bursitis.
- Physical Therapy: Another fantastic option for treating bursitis includes physical therapy. Physical therapists, such as our physical therapist in Oceanside, can significantly reduce the pain, muscle stiffness, and inflammation that is caused by bursitis. They can also provide several exercises that can increase muscle strength and endurance, which will help increase your range of motion and prevent the bursitis symptoms from returning.
Are you suffering from bursitis? Our staff at The Physical Therapy Experience can give you the help you need today! Contact our physical therapist in Oceanside today!