The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the human body. Because of this, many people including pregnant women suffer with sciatic pain. Some reports show 50 to 80 percent of women will experience sciatic pain during pregnancy. Often doctors will encourage pregnant women to see a physical therapist during this time because specific modalities and exercises can help reduce this pain. The expectant mother may experience what is throbbing aches in the middle of the back and down the buttocks. This is often caused by shifts in the baby’s position which inpinges on the sciatica nerve.
How to Get Rid of the Pain?
Like most pains or aches, if very severe or causing other problems, it's best to seek a professional and see what they advise. A few solutions they will provide is:
- Stretching: Many physical therapists recommend stretching as it will decrease tension and increase movement in the hips.
- Make sure you are switching positions while standing, sitting, and sleeping.
- By seeking help from a physical therapist, through a variety of techniques and exercises they will minimize your pain and discomfort in a safe way for you and your baby. The Physical Therapy Experience that offers physical therapy near Island Park can help figure out which therapy is best for you.
- They may also show some ideas that involve heat or ice on your back after certain stretches and workouts.
- They also may show you what not to do when experiencing an episode of pain.
If you are pregnant and need physical therapy near Island Park then The Physical Therapy Experience can guide you in the right direction. As the pregnancy is supposed to be an excellent time for you and your baby, it is essential to get in touch with your doctor for your pain. Especially in your third trimester because it is the most vital. At The Physical Therapy Experience, we understand that pregnancy is hard and we offer a variety of different solutions to help limit your discomfort. Make sure you enjoy your pregnancy, and make an appointment today with us.