Arthritis is a condition in which the joints become inflamed, causing pain and limited mobility. Different types of arthritis affect different parts of the body in various capacities. In essence, osteoarthritis generally harms the elderly and causes joint pain, whereas rheumatoid arthritis targets the immune system as well.
Arthritis is seen at a variety of ages, mostly under the age of 65, but older adults seem to be more susceptible. Factors that may affect your susceptibility to arthritis include:
- Age: Risk of arthritis increases with age.
- Genes: Some forms of arthritis are hereditary, and some health issues linked to arthritis are also genetic. Also, females are more likely to develop rheumatoid arthritis.
- Everyday Life: A healthy lifestyle is always ideal in preventing disease. People who suffer from obesity, for example, have a higher risk of developing arthritis.
- Injuries: A joint weakened by injury is more likely to develop arthritis. If you’ve injured a joint and believe it may be severe, seek physical therapy near Kings Park at The Physical Therapy Experience.
What are the Symptoms and Effects of Arthritis?
Arthritis symptoms and effects vary depending on the type of arthritis. Most symptoms may be able to be treated with the help of physical therapy near Kings Park at our practice. These are some common symptoms:
- Joint pain.
- Swelling/redness of the skin.
- Limited mobility/range of motion.
How to Prevent or Treat Arthritis
Measures to treat arthritis are aimed at preventing or reducing the pain associated with it. Pain medications may be prescribed to alleviate pain, and in some instances, surgery may be needed.
Maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle is always a good preventative measure, as well as exercising. It is widespread for doctors to recommend physical therapy as a treatment for arthritis.
At The Physical Therapy Experience, we offer a variety of treatments for arthritis. Our experts will create an individual treatment plan to help alleviate your pain and increase your mobility and range of motion. Our goal is to help you rise above arthritis and continue a happy, healthy lifestyle! Contact us today for an appointment for physical therapy near Kings Park, NY!