Symptoms of a Torn Rotator Cuff
When caused by normal wear and tear, your symptoms may include the following:
- Pain in the front of your shoulder which then radiates down to the side of your arm.
- Discomfort when engaging in overhead activities such as lifting boxes or reaching.
- Inability to sleep when trying to lay on the same side as the affected shoulder.
- Difficulty with everyday tasks like brushing your hair and reaching behind your back.
When caused by an injury, your symptoms may include the following:
- Immediate acute pain.
- A snapping sensation in the shoulder.
- Weakness in the entirety of the arm.
How Can Physical Therapy Help?
The goal of Physical Therapy in treating torn rotator cuffs is to improve the functioning of the affected muscles. By strengthening these muscles, the mechanics of the shoulder joint are improved. Physical therapy is a non-surgical and non-invasive way to help relieve pain caused by the condition. Physical therapy uses techniques such as exercise, ice, heat, massages, and equipment to help your shoulder. Unless the injury is severe, going to physical therapy is the typical first step to healing a torn shoulder cuff. A physical therapist, and more specifically physical therapy near Island Park, can help you heal in a variety of ways:
- Regaining your range of motion.
- Learning exercises to help strengthen the affected muscles.
- Education on how to carry and handle large objects safely.
- Discovering different ways to do things so you don’t aggravate the injured shoulder.
- Eventually returning to your regular activities over time.
Physical Therapy near Island Park
Torn rotator cuffs are a common shoulder injury and they can get in the way of most everyday activities. Thankfully, physical therapy is a proven method for treating the shoulder after suffering a tear. Even if you decide to go the surgical route for healing your torn rotator cuff, Physical Therapy can help you to recover from the surgery and keep it as strong as possible.
The Physical Therapy Experience serves patients looking for physical therapy near Island Park and the surrounding Long Island area. Here at PTE, our mission is to get patients back in motion and return to their everyday activities. We administer the highest level of physical therapy to our patients so that their conditions can be treated as soon as possible. So if physical therapy near Island Park is on your radar, look no further than The Physical Therapy Experience! Contact us today!